Game development technology has been evolving at a increased pace. The result being games with better graphics and stunning gameplays. Not everyone has the skill or creativity to make visually appealing games that are good to play. Ideas are everywhere but, a properly implemented one can make your product successful.
Its best to hire a professional to make your idea a reality. In this post, we will see how to hire developers for your game.
The main difference between other Freelance website and Fiverr is, you can shop on Fiverr like any other shopping app rather than post your requirement and wait for freelancers to respond. The main reason to consider Fiverr are
- Wider price range to select from.
- Sellers are well segmented into tiers.
- Great chat interface to take to the seller before hiring.
- Quick response from sellers.
- You will find a freelance for all your needs.
- Subscription option with reduced price.
- Money guarantee if not satisfied( varies based on gig).
Questions to ask before hiring
Its better to go through the gig description before asking the developer your questions. Some developers make clear and detailed gig description which answers most of your questions.
1. What game engine do you use?
Unity and Unreal are the most used game engines in indie game development. Its better to go with a developer who uses Unity or Unreal as it will be easy to hire a new developer in the future.
2. Send me Samples of similar games.
Many developers will have experience working on a single genre. Its better to hire a developer who has worked on similar games. For example, if you ask a 2D developer to design a VR game, the result will not be as good as a experienced VR developer.
3. Will Character design and game assets be included in the gig?
Character design and game assets is a big part of game development. Game assets include game environment, menu icons, sounds and effects. Its better to clarify what the gig offers before placing an order.
4. Will you give source code with delivery?
Source code is required if you want to make changes to your game in the future. Not all developers give source code with the end delivery. Some reduce the price for delivery without source code. Its better to check it out.
cost to hire a Game developer
The cost of game development depends on the game itself. You can hire different freelancers for parts of work for your game rather than a full developer. Like you can hire a separate freelance menu designer and a separate animator. Major factors that influence the cost of game development are
- Number of Characters to be designed. If you have too many characters then designing them will take time and money.
- Environment design.
- Number of levels in your game.
- How big is the game. Mostly decided by the time required to complete the game.
- Does every level require different design. For example, games like temple run don’t require multiple level design.
- Do you have any special requirements.
- Sound design and game images.
Here is a rough estimate based on the rates on Fiverr.
|Type of game||Estimate|
|Endless runner like temple Run 3D||$500-$1000|
|2D game like flappy bird||$50-$150|
|Game like Dota(Better to hire a team)||$10000- $30000|
|Simple FPS with 10 levels||$1000-$3000|
|Simple VR experience (like Underwater experience)||$200-$500|
Some developers have templates ready to go for different types of games. They might offer to work at much lower price then the estimate above. But, its better to be clear and precise on your requirement.
You can also outsource game development in part like character design to a separate freelance to reduce the cost and get better quality. You need to have some knowledge on game development for that.
If you have any other questions regarding outsourcing feel free to leave it in the comments below.