How to make Your own Game

“How to make your own game?” is a big question for most beginners. Game development has become much easier with the advancement of technology. In the early days developing a simple game would require thousands of lines of coding. But now games can be developed using drag and drop applications. Check out the info-graphics below on how a game is made. Even though the process of game development has become simple, the amount of work put into developing a game is still very considerable.

Game making process
  1. The plan: In this phase the developers come up with an idea for the game. They make concept art and Game design document and validate their idea with other people.
  2. The team: A team is gathered and everyone is briefed about the game and given deadlines. The team usually comprises of artists, programmers, animators, sound designers, and a coordinator (mostly known as game designers).
  3. The Prototype: Once the idea and team are finalized, the first step is to make a small prototype that has the core mechanics. The prototype is tested and feedback is taken.
  4. The Game: Based on the prototype the changes are done to make the game more fun and aesthetic. Once the final version is made and playtested, the Game is published on platforms like Steam, Play store, App store.

What you want to achieve by making games?

This is the most important question of all. Why are you into game development? Your approach to game development will be different depending on your answer.

In my first game, I learnt the process of game development and game publishing. In my second game, I learnt a lot about game marketing. You should fix up some learning from each of your games published. Don’t expect your first game to be a worldwide hit. Though it is possible.

You can make any process successful by repeating it again and again with corrections from the previous iteration.

Now that you have the clarity of what you want to learn and what is your goal, you can now get started with mastering one tool. Let’s get into developing a game with the steps below.

Let’s see how to make your own game

1.Getting the idea

Before starting the development process, you need to come up with an idea for the game. The idea is only 10% in game development but if the idea is not worthy then the rest 90% is of no use. Put your time in coming up with a genuine idea for the game. Remember that it should be realistic and playable.

Reading material: Getting ideas for game

2. Learning Unity

Game engines can reduce development time to a great extent, but you need to master them before jumping to a conclusion. Unity is much easier to learn compared to unreal, that’s why we have decided to direct you towards leaning unity. You can also check out the comparison of unity and unreal for detailed understanding.

Reading material: Learn Unity game engine

3. Making your first sample game

Now that you have learned the basics of Unity, you can now start by making a simple roll a ball game in Unity. You can follow the tutorial below step by step and experience how easy it is to make a simple game. By making this sample game you will gain the confidence and experience to make your own game. This step is very important as many game developers take up a big game as their first game and quit with frustration.

Reading material: Make a Simple 3D game

Reading material: Making a 2D Platformer from scratch in Unity

Reading material: Making an Endless Runner Without code in Unity

4. Mastering Unity by making more sample game.

The next step is to learn unity to a level that you are able to code and make at least a basic game without the need to google every step. If you lack the experience then developing a game will not be as fun as it should be. Gaining the right experience will set you on the right track. Before you dive in into developing the game of your dreams you must make as many small games as possible.

Reading material: Best Unity courses

Now you are ready to make you own game. All the best. If you are looking for a faster way then check out our 10-day game development challenge.

Once you are done making your game, share your story with Vionixstudio. You can contact us at [email protected]

Unity tutor teaching two students

9 thoughts on “How to make Your own Game”

    • That’s right hiring a team is easier if you have the money for it. Not just that, hiring is not one time process you need to hire developers Everytime you want to update your game.

      • This blog totally changed my mindset and made me feel that I can do it too.I hope I could develop such games under your guidance.

  1. It’s very nice and informative. Thanks for sharing this knowledge. This blog has made me aware of different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids.

Comments are closed.