Game development is a creative field with many varied skill requirements. Most game developer find the need to outsource any one skill during the development phase. Unless you are an artist yourself, it is best to outsource your game art. You can outsource it to development studios or to freelance game artist. For a new game developer, hiring a studio would cost a fortune. So, in this post, we will see how to effectively hire a freelance game artist.
What a game artist needs to do in your game?
When you say game artist, it covers a lot of area in game development. So, you cannot just go out there and say “I need a game artist”. You need to be specific like ” I need a game artist for creating a background picture for my 2D game in vector art”.
what does a game artist do?
- Background sketching.
- Material texture design.
- UI design.
- Concept art for scenes.
- Character design.
- Sprite sheets.
- Logo, menu, icon design.
- Environment design.
- Character clothing and texture design.
- 3D object concept sketch.
- Effects design.
As you can see in the list above, a game artist does a lot of things. Not all game artist can do everything specified in the list. You need to be clear on what you need the artist to do.
Where to hire Freelance Game artist?
There are a few options when it comes to hiring game artist. Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer are the most famous websites for hiring freelancers. There are limitations for each but I personally find Fiverr to be effective in terms of cost and options.
Reason to hire a game artist from Fiverr
- Multiple options to choose from.
- Interface is similar to an ecommerce site.
- You can chat any seller before placing the order.
- Cost is much less than the other freelance websites.
How much does it cost to hire a game artist?
|Type of service||Price Range|
|Small objects for your game||$5-$20|
|Pixel art sprite sheet||$30-$100|
|2D vector sprite sheet||$50-$150|
|3D character animation||$50-$200|
Best Freelance Game artists to hire
Top freelance game menu designers to hire
Menu in games can be a small part, but if you have a bad menu then you might start loosing players. Why risk all your hard work on a small menu?
Hire the best menu designers with proven track record and make it to compliment your game play.
What to look for when hiring a menu designer?
- Working style– Most freelance game developers have a signature style. You should find a designer how will suit your game style.
- Portfolio– Ask for previous work and portfolio and validate them based on their work.
- What is included and what is not. Some menu designers include only fixed amount of Icons and buttons. its better to discuss it before hand.
- Check if the service includes the background image/design for your Menu.
- Compare cost vs service provided.
Why to hire from Fiverr?
- Affordable cost.
- More options to choose from.
- You can talk to multiple designers before placing an order.
- Money guarantee if you don’t like the work.
TOP Menu Designers to Hire
Reason to choose
- Designs UI for multiple game genres.
- You can request for an responsive UI for a multi platform game.
- Work delivered n multiple file formats like JPG, PNG, PDF, AI, PSD,EPS.
- Multiple revisions and quick delivery.
- Packages are limited, you need to order an custom package that suits your need.
- Less creative
Reason to choose
- Creative User Interface
- Designs screens like Main Menu, Loading Screens, Splash Screen, Level Selection and Popup Screen
- Final delivery in multiple file formats.
- Leader Board design also available
- Background and Icons design as required.
- Works mostly on mobile game menus
- Costlier than other sellers.
Reason to choose
- Best for pixel art.
- Can do background and UI together.
- Skilled in Pixel art character design.
- Can do only pixel art.
- Not best for high graphics games.